Monday, April 19, 2010

My Favorite Quilt

Since one of my passions is Quilting, I thought today I would share one of my favorite quilts.  I finished this quilt in April of 2007.  Of course my subject just happens to be my grandaughter!  Her father took this picture of her sleeping in the back of his car, and I thought it would be perfect to do a portrait quilt from the picture.  I have always admired the work of Susan Carlson, so armed with her book and some advice from a couple friends, I began the journey.  My local quilt store happened to have the very same fabric in stock as the pillow my grandaughter was sleeping against in the car.  What a find!  Her yellow shirt was built from some yardage by Phil Beaver.  This quilt was such fun to make.  I don't know if the picture shows it or not, but once you have laid down all your bits and pieces of fabric, you cover it all with tulle to hold it down, then do your quilting. 

So above is the original picture I started with,  and below I will feature the finished quilt.  The quilt ended up being gifted to my daughter and it now hangs proudly in our baby store.  I call the quilt "Taylor at Her Best" - appropriately named because she is such a chatter box!  I'm sure when she is sleeping is the only time she is quiet and still.

6 comments:

  1. This portrait is amazing, Val! So interesting, the way you did the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val - what a beautiful job! YOu sure are doing well. I am so impressed. You did a great job with your blog. I will put you with my favorite blogs. We haven't been up to Canmore although we took a drive today to Cochrane to Tim Hortons. I hope to make it up your way soon. I hope you are both enjoying your new shop. Maybe you could email me the store address. Are you far from the quilt store?

    Nice to read you blog. Shirley ps Pat says hello

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing quilt. You did a wonderful job. I am sure your family loves it. And good job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your art quilt is gorgeous. Welcome to "bloggie world" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val.... this quilt is wonderful!!!! luv it.... glad to see you are a blogger..... easier to keep in touch that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val - I was in your shop yesterday and missed you -- BUT I saw your wonderful portrait of your grand daughter -- great job! When we got home I found your email. We were sorry to miss you but we will be in Canmore sometime in the next month as we decided to take a couple of days and explore the are sometime soon. Your shop looks great.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete